We received an astounding amount of snow yesterday. Apparently, this may be the all-time record for snow in December for this area. DC itself got over 16 inches, which beat the previous record (set in 1932) by about 5 inches. I'm pretty sure we got more than 16 inches here. I shoveled 6+ inches at least four times from our sidewalks. This would be par for the season in Wyoming, if memory serves, but it's pretty unusual here. And people here don't have a clue how to drive in it. The weather service called it a blizzard, and NBC called it "Snow-pacalypse". (I also heard "snow-torious" and "the shopper-stopper"). People have been digging out this morning, which is bright and sunshiney. The snow is already starting to melt - I hope we don't have flooding on our hands!
AJ had some fun. I broke our sled at the last snow, and the stores were all sold out of sleds earlier in the week, but we did manage to acquire a boat, which worked pretty well. AJ had fun tramping through snow that came nearly to his waist. The snow was too dry to build a snowman, but we tried.
Anyway, now we're in hopes that the airports will be functioning today, and that we can get a ride to the airport. Fun times ahead.
It was interesting to observe the uninitiated flail around trying to deal with 16+ inches of snow. Although the sun was shining and it was relativily warm, it took many people the better part of a day to dig their cars out. I saw at least 4 people wearing grocery sacks on their feet. This storm would have been par forthe season in most places I have lived.
1 comment:
I heard about the snow from lots of people...I guess enjoy it if you can and avoid the crazy non-snow-driving drivers. Good luck getting the airport and all of you have a Merry Christmas. I wonder when you all will be home? I am getting closer to returning your stuff to you.
Post a Comment