Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Doing better?

At last night's visit Janet helped move Elizabeth from the highest-level NICU to an "intermediate" level.  Supposedly, she was doing so much better with her oral feeding, etc, that the doctors felt she was ready to move.  She was up to 30 ml feedings (from 14 as of saturday) and almost free of the feeding tube-based nutrition.  As of this morning, however, it seems the move may have been a little premature.  She has lost 67 grams (grams! she's so little) and getting dehydrated.  So, unfortunately they will have to get an I.V. going again.  Poor kid has been poked in both feet, both arms, both hands, and at least one leg.  She manages to work the I.V. out every time.  If they run out of places to poke, they'll have to install a PICC line (i.e., Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter).  Janet thinks maybe the high level NICU simply needed space for worse-off preemies.  In any case, Zibbie(?) is still getting great care and is not in imminent danger of lasting health problems, thankfully.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We keep Elizabeth or Beth or Anne in our prayers. She is a fighter and she will come through this too. Hopefully Mommy is feeling better too? Janet, you're loved and we hope you know that we are among those who do love you. Take care.
M&D Larsen

Josh, Christy, C,N,J, and A said...

Josh and I have a friend that is named Elizabeth I believe but everyone calls her Bett? or Bet. Like you are making a bet. I always liked that.

cmhd said...

Tell her to put those grams back on! And I love the testing of the various names/nicknames. :)

The Busby Family said...

I just love that picture you took of her. SHe is so beautiful and sleeping peacefully. We will keep her in our prayers, thanks for the updates.

Josh, Christy, C,N,J, and A said...

Have to say that I'm not a fan of "Zibbie". Liz is classic and prettie enough. Lizzie is cute...will keep thinkin'...

Josh, Christy, C,N,J, and A said...

...and Jay's vote is Liz as well...