Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Joys of Eating

I like eating. I can appreciate a nice glass of milk. Elizabeth Anne Larsen cannot yet appreciate this. She got a feeding tube last night because she just doesn't get the whole swallowing thing. They'll do a study on her in the next while to try and figure out if there is any reason the mechanics of eating are eluding her. She's down to 3lb 10oz, despite intravenous nutrition.

Janet and I went in this afternoon, held her, and attempted to feed her with a bottle (nursing isn't allowed as yet). She was actually pretty good at getting stuff out of the bottle, but didn't quite know what to do once the good stuff was in her mouth.

Some have asked about the baby's lung development. Her lungs are apparently great. She's not on oxygen or blow-by, and hasn't had any respiratory issues. Even during the cardiac issue the other night, all of her other systems were running great. All in all, she's pretty healthy. They do have her under lights to treat jaunice. (She looks quite pink to me, but I guess her bilirubin is high.)

We took in some little booties today made by Aunt Gisela (in Brazil). It was kinda funny because she's so small that the booties are about the size of her torso. We taped them up in her enclosure to provide some non-hosptial atmosphere.The nurses and doctors in the NICU have been wonderful. They are caring and helpful, patient and understanding. We're quite pleased with the care.AJ is adjusting to all this. We've been showing him pictures and telling him about sister, but he isn't able to see her until she gets out of the NICU. He's aware that something is different, however.

Here are some more pictures:









3 comments:

cmhd said...

Yeah! I'm first to say I LOVE HER NAME! Awesome, awesome. I'm still sending up double-prayers that she'll continue to grow bigger & stronger. We love you all!
Aunt C

Josh, Christy, C,N,J, and A said...

I'm so glad I know what to call the baby now! and I can't wait to meet her. I hope you guys will be able to come visit soon. Josh and I definitely want to come out there when our baby gets big enough to travel. Love you guys.

Emily said...

I must say, I LOVE THE NAME:) Congrats on your decision:) We'll continue to send up prayers. She is a cutie!!